Base + Syrup
2 cups pitted dates
1 cup mixed raw nuts, preferably soaked but not essential (I used almonds, macadamias, cashews and pecans)
2½ cups hot/boiling water
3 tsp flax seeds, finely ground Filling
1½ cups raw pecan nuts
6 Tbsp coconut cream
6 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp agave nectar/20 drops liquid stevia
1 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon powder
- Soak the pecan nuts overnight in water, and drain them in the morning or whenever you’re ready to make pie.
For the base
- Soak the dates in the boiling water for 2 hours.
- Remove ¾ of the dates from their water with a slotted spoon and blend in a high speed blender, along with the mixed nuts, until a thick paste is formed.
- Line a round 20cm spring form cake tin with parchment paper on the bottom and sides.
- Press the date-nut mixture into the cake tin to form a base. Transfer to the fridge or freezer.
For the filling
- Place the soaked pecans, coconut cream, coconut oil, agave nectar, lemon juice and cinnamon powder in a high speed blender and blend until you get a smooth, creamy mixture.
- Pour this over the frozen date-nut base and return the pie to the freezer.
- Blend the remaining ¼ of the dates with their soaking water, the salt and the ground flax seeds. Allow to stand for 15 minutes or until thickened. *Alternatively, you can blend this mixture and place it in a saucepan over a high heat to reduce into a syrup.*
- Pour this syrup over the frozen pie. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Remove from the freezer 1 hour before serving.
- Decorate with whole pecans, fresh berries or serve as is.
This pie is raw, vegan, gluten-free, Paleo-friendly and Banting-friendly (in controlled portions).
Recipe by Mireesha Narsai – Miss Earth South Africa 2016 3rd runner up: Fire
#MeatFreeMonday #MeatFree #PlantBasedPrincess #FoodSecurity #HealthyLiving #Vegeterian