Vegan Mushroom Galette
¾ roll of vegan shortcrust pastry, defrosted
2 punnets (500g) mushrooms
1 block (400g) of firm tofu
4 sprigs of fresh thyme + 1 sprig for garnish
1 tsp chilli flakes
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 200˚C / 400˚F.
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil on medium heat and add the chilli flakes and thyme to fry for 2 minutes.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the pot, along with ¼ tsp of salt. Cover for 6-8 minutes or until the water from the mushrooms has been released.
- Cook uncovered for another 6-8 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry into an oval with thickness of about 3-4mm.
- Smash the tofu with a fork (or hand blender) until smooth.
- Spread the tofu evenly onto the shortcrust, leaving a clear border around the tofu of about 10cm (enough to fold over).
- Add a sprinkling of salt over the tofu.
- Spread the mushrooms over the tofu.
- Fold the edges of the shortcrust over the mushrooms to make a border around the galette.
- You should have a roughly ovular galette. Brush edges with vegan butter / coconut oil / milk alternative.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Placing the galette directly on the oven rack results in much more evenly baked base.
You can use a galette tin and blind bake the pastry with baking beads for 10-15 minutes.
Recipe by Mireesha Narsai – Miss Earth South Africa 2016 3rd runner up: Fire
#MeatFreeMonday #MeatFree #PlantBasedPrincess #FoodSecurity #HealthyLiving #Vegeterian