Warm Fig, Zucchini and Barley Salad
3 zucchinis (baby marrows)
3 salad figs, quartered
½ a red pepper, sliced
½ a yellow pepper, sliced
2 large handfuls of fresh lettuce leaves (butter, iceberg, cos, watercress, spinach etc)
¼ of a cucumber, sliced
½ cup barley
¼ cup plain yogurt (optional)
- Put the barley to boil in about 1 ½ cups water on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Be sure to salt the water
- Spirallize the zucchini.
- Place the spirallized zucchini in a bowl and pour hot water over. Leave to soak for 2 minutes before draining and let this cool.
- Drain barley once cooked (see note below) and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Combine zucchini, peppers, cucumbers and lettuce in a large salad bowl.
- Add barley to the salad, and top with figs.
- Mix yogurt with a little water and drizzle over salad as a dressing if desired.
Cooking the barley in vegetable stock adds wonderful flavour. Choose a stock that is free
from MSG, preservatives and colourants. A low-sodium stock is also preferable. Try Ina
Paarman’s vegetable stock powder – quick and easy to use.
The dressing is a tangy addition that also adds a creaminess to a crunchy salad. It’s not vegan
so give it a miss (or try vegan mayonnaise) if you’re vegan.
Recipe by Mireesha Narsai – Miss Earth South Africa 2016 3rd runner up: Fire
#MeatFreeMonday #MeatFree #PlantBasedPrincess #FoodSecurity #HealthyLiving #Vegeterian